No matter how professionally we run our business, chances are that somewhere along the line something will go wrong. Handling customer complaints in a positive way can not only repair the harm that’s been done, but enhance your future relationship with the customer:
- Explain what is it that went wrong. Admit the mistake if there was one … your honesty will be appreciated.
- Make it clear that you value their custom. Consider giving them an extra gift for the inconvenience.
- Take charge from the start – avoid letting the customer back you against a wall. Come right out and admit where things went wrong.
- Make it clear how the problem will be rectified.
- If rectification cannot take place immediately, make sure the customer is kept informed every step of the way.
- Display empathy. Even if you or your staff are not entirely to blame, consider how the customer feels about being disappointed in the product or service.
Never ever be brash or bully the customer … leave that for your opposition!